Thursday, September 29, 2016

Karate Still Kicking at Maison de la Gare

 
 
Knowing this day there would be a karate class at the centre, I was apprehensive because it is so hot and humid. I don't do well in the heat. But I DO do well with inspiration. So, when the talibes put on their gi's so did I. Apparently the word got around that I would be helping with karate at the centre, and many extra talibes gathered along the walls to watch. There was much giggling and pointing when ever I kiayed. 

Two new students joined the morning class. They had been waiting to join since my previous visit, but none of the unclaimed  gi's at Maison de la Gare fit them. Happily, I had two more perfect for the job in my luggage.
Issa Ba in his new gi 

Souleymane led the warm up before the Sensei from Sor-karate took over. Then, at the end of class Souleymane and I demonstrated a few intermediate katas for the class, to the delight of the little fan club. When my son, Robbie first began the karate program at Maison de la Gare, 18 months ago, Souleymane was shy but curious about this karate business. He and Robbie became great friends, and Robbie shared with Souleymane his love of karate. Today, Souleymane is a leader of the MDG karate program and he is competing for the Sor-karate dojo where 27 talibes are now registered. He warms up the class at the centre with confidence and skill. As we prepare to demonstrate his tournament kata together, his shyness returns, only to be replaced by pride as we complete the kata, nicely in sync. Robbie would also be proud to see this.
Souleymane Leads the Class 


Souleymane helped me make a list of the morning students he felt were ready for the dojo, and who wanted to join, just as Robbie did a year ago. Many had been hopefully waiting since my previous visit for their chance to become a "dojo talibe".
 

As we gathered to walk to the dojo for the evening class, it became apparent the evening meal at Maison de la Gare would not be ready in time for the kids who needed to arrive early to be registered. I could see the concern build as stomachs growled, then the resolution settle in that this chance at becoming part of something wonderful would not be missed. So, off my Dad and I went with Souleymane, leading 5 hungry talibes. Souleymane helped get the new kids oriented at the dojo, then they lined up nervously for registration. I guaranteed payment of their fees, and for two others who could not come tonight,  knowing generous karate families back home at my own dojo would be willing to help.
Registering the New Kids 

As we watched the class progress, Dad was astonished at the dedication, commitment and skill being displayed by some he had thought of until now as relaxed and, shall we say, less than diligent in many matters. Karate has transformed these kids. Or, more likely, it has brought out their best selves. They are developing an important and respected skill. They belong to something not many people are part of. They feel special, they feel the opportunity.  Another  thing that struck me as I watched, was the equality in the room. Talibes practiced along side kids from regular families, families who could afford these fees. Everyone wears the same uniform in the dojo. There are no begging street kids in this class, just martial artists.

 

No wonder kids who beg to survive are willing to forgo a certain meal for this. For them, karate is a chance at really living.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful. These kids are being treated as equals and they are feeling that joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome info and right to the point. I don't know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks in advance :) Car service from Rome airport to Naples


    ReplyDelete