Sunday, September 25, 2016

Welcome The African Sun...or Rain

 
How many times have I thought, or written "on my way, again..." ? One might think I would get used to the sight of the African continent coming into view out the airplane window. Or, the warm, heavy, fragrant air enveloping me as I step off the plane. Or, the chaotic, entrepreneurial dance for attention of the vendors and beggars outside the airport. Or, the vibrant, yet ancient passing Sub-Saharan landscape as we are driven to Saint Louis. Or, the genuinely delighted greeting of our friends at Maison Rose as our car pulls up. Or, the feeling that we are lucky to be part of something really special as we enter the gates of Maison the la Gare. But, it always feels new and special.

 



This trip is new in a different way, however. This time I am travelling to Senegal during the rainy season for the first time. Well, the tail end of it. The Sub-Saharan plains are greener than I knew was possible. The tree in our Hotel courtyard is blooming!! When I checked the weather forecast, compliments of my iphone, I was surprised to see three days of thunderclouds for Dakar, and one for Saint Louis. But, the temperature should be between 32 and 36 degrees everyday, as always.  This is malaria season. I packed my raincoat, bug-net, and Malarone medication. But I forgot my bug spray. That is what I get for packing late, the night before I leave. Good thing Dad remembered his.

 

It has been a few years since I made this trip without at least one of my kids accompanying me. This time, it will be as I first began my travels to Senegal, just me and my Dad. I look forward to working on fulfilling our objectives for this trip together. We have settled into an efficient rythm over our years of working together to help fulfill the vision of Maison de la Gare. With only two baggage allowances we had to pack carefully: books for the library, karate gis, belts and equipment for the talibe karate-kids, a few new computers - we can take one in each of our carry-on's, and the candy I can't resist packing for the kids.

We are, indeed, on our way, again...

 
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.Car service from Rome to Ravello


    ReplyDelete