Tuesday, November 24, 2015

On our way, again...

A busy Dakar beach 
We  are on our way! In the air, heading toward Dakar. It feels as though I have only just left Africa. I can almost feel the powerful African sun on my skin. Taste the hot, heavy, sandy air, that is at once humid and dry, at the back of my throat. Sense the unique African pace that is slow and methodical, chaotic and energetic, all at the same time. Hear familiar sounds. The Imam's call to prayer. Voices of strangers who seem to know us. "De retour!", "Les Canadiens! Combien de temps cette fois?".  And best "Ah, les amis des talibes!".


We are heading back to a land of paradoxes. The greatest one of all, of course, is the existence of the talibes. Young boys far from home and family, forced to beg for hours each day by corrupt
Chains on a talibe who ran
marabouts. This transgression against humanity persists in the land of Teranga. A land where people share what they have with neighbours, friends, strangers, and beggars alike.

Rod LeRoy with talibes in a Dara in 2010
This time I am travelling with my father, Rod LeRoy and my 13 year old son, Robbie Hughes. This is my eighth visit to Senegal with my father and my second with my son to work with Maison de la Gare.

Maison de la Gare win the Championship Game


The children of this place have become a second family to us. We celebrate their triumphs. Yellow and orange belts earned in karate. Registration in the public school system. Another

Robbie teaching karate

tournament win for the Maison de la Gare soccer team. We mourn the losses. A death to malaria. A disabling injury or infection. The persecution of an abusive marabout. A runaway rescued in a "ronde de nuit" sent back to his marabout by the police. Daily forced begging. And, we worry. There is no one else but Maison de la Gare to worry out these boys.


Soon we will be reunited with our Maison de la Gare family, welcomed back with open arms and open smiles. We will learn what challenges they currently face. What hopes they currently have. Who has given up. Who is still fighting. Who is triumphing against all odds.

Let the adventure begin, again...

No comments:

Post a Comment